Eighth Endorsement for Chiang in Just Three Days
John Chiang’s campaign for governor received yet another endorsement today, announcing the support of Los Angeles City Controller Ron Galperin. Galperin is the first Neighborhood Council member elected to city-wide office in Los Angeles and launched ControlPanel LA, the City’s first open data portal.
“I am proud to endorse John Chiang for governor,” said Controller Galperin. “Especially now, we need a leader who will fight for all Californians and stand up for our values. I know the quality of his leadership, seeing first-hand how he has been a steady force for good, taking on the big banks, and leading with an evenhanded approach to strengthen our state. I support John Chiang because we share a commitment to fiscal responsibility, openness, and accountability. John Chiang will be a governor who will lead by example and build bridges, which is why I am proud to support his candidacy for governor.”
“I thank LA City Controller Ron Galperin for his endorsement and further adding to the swell of grassroots energy of our campaign,” said Chiang. “I commend his efforts to push for a more open, accessible, and transparent government, and improving the efficiency and accountability of the City of Los Angeles. I’ve made it a priority to put an end to waste, fraud, and abuse in our state government. We must hold powerful actors accountable to California families, which is why I stood up to Governor Schwarzenegger and Wells Fargo when they tried to hurt hard-working Californians. As governor, I promise to continue to stand up for Californians and ensure they’re shown the fairness and respect they deserve.”
Los Angeles City Controller Ron Galperin is the eighth and latest endorsement for Chiang in just three days. Controller Galperin joins former San Diego Democratic Party Chair Francine Busby, Congresswoman Linda Sanchez (CA-38), San Diego City Councilmember Georgette Goméz (CD-9), Los Angeles City Councilmember Paul Koretz (CD-5), State Senator Anthony Portantino (SD-25), the Black Young Democrats of Sacramento, and the Democrats for Israel – Los Angeles, who have all endorsed Chiang since just Wednesday.
John Chiang has been fighting to hold government and financial institutions accountable to California families:
- When Wells Fargo began ripping off hundreds of thousands of innocent Californians and millions of other Americans, Chiang imposed sanctions on the bank and cut Wells Fargo off from their most profitable lines of business in California.
- During the 2008 budget stalemate, then-Controller Chiang refused to implement Governor Schwarzenegger’s directive demanding the salaries of more than 200,000 government employees be cut to the federal minimum wage of $6.55 an hour, taking the governor to court to protect the pay of our hardworking public servants.
- In 2009, then-Controller Chiang refused to implement Governor Schwarzenegger’s directive to furlough the state workforce. Chiang was later vindicated when the California Supreme Court ruled no governor can issue such a furlough order by unilateral fiat.
- As state controller, Chiang made government financial data more transparent by launching three open data portals — ByTheNumbers, Government Compensation in California, and Track Prop 30.
- As treasurer, John launched a website making it easier for taxpayers to hold their state and local government officials accountable for their borrowing decisions.
- As the most vigilant watchdog in California history to occupy the role of state controller, John identified over $9.5 billion in waste, fraud, and abuse of taxpayer dollars over the course of his service.